Sunday, September 15, 2013

Captain Profiles: Abby and Micaela, Senior Year!

After a great start last weekend at the Smith Invitational the ladies have headed into a solid training period. Two hard workouts, a circuit, multiple runs, cross training and one long run later the team has certainly earned a Sunday off to enjoy this amazing September weather! Summer is winding down and its never too soon to get excited for apple picking, cider doughnuts and pumpkin carving.  

This year the Smith Cross Country team is lucky enough to have five amazing senior leaders. Each of the senior athletes has contributed to the teams success in their own unique way. The combination of great personalities and a positive attitude will help drive the team throughout the entire season. Seniors and Captains Abby Mosca and Micaela Young answered questions about a few of their favorite things and what it feels like to be a Senior. Keep an eye out for more athlete profiles! 



MICAELA YOUNG 

1. Major/Area of interest? 

Hi! My name is Micaela Young and I am one of the co-captains for the Smith Cross-Country team. This year I am completing my major in Biology, as well as the minor in Exercise and Sports Studies.  

2. What do you think is the most exciting part of Cross Country ?

For me, the most exciting part of Cross-Country is getting to let your passion show.  This sport is very tough, but when you work for it, when you want it enough, amazing things can happen! 

3. What is your best running moment? 

I cannot express how much I love my team, and getting to work with them everyday! My best running moments happen when we are all in sync, working hard and pushing each other to be the best we can be. As far as our best race moments go, I know that they are still to come.

4. What is your favorite thing to do in Northampton

My favorite thing to do in Northampton is to go out to eat, which on a college budget is hard to do, or just sit in Starbucks and do homework.  Northampton is such a lively and creative place to be, and we are so lucky to be only minutes from downtown!

5. How does it feel to be a senior at Smith !

Ugh, I'm a senior! I have so many feelings right now! I am very excited to move on from Smith and make new adventures, but I will definitely miss the Smith Community and, most of all, my team. What gives me comfort, however, is the fact that we will all be lifelong friends and we will always have each others' backs.  While my future is still not planned out yet (much to my dismay), I know that I want to give back to this sport that has given me so much and shaped who I am today.

6. What is your favorite thing/story about the team?

My favorite thing about the team is the fact that we can all just be ourselves around each other.  We are also really tight outside of practice and share everything together.  I also have so many stories I could share about the team! I won't share them all, but I guess one of my favorite times was laugh/crying together watching Bridesmaids for the first time!

Go Pioneers!


Micaela Young- Left, Abby Mosca- Right 

ABBY MOSCA 

1. Major/ Area of interest  
I’m a math major! And am hoping to complete an engineering minor. I would love to get into Biomathematics after I graduate. 
2. What do you think is the most exciting part of Cross Country?  
I think the most exciting part of cross country is coming together and racing as a team. I love the feeling of working together towards, and achieving a common goal. I also just think cross country races are so exciting because there so much room for things to change from the beginning of the race to the end, so you can never be sure what the outcome will be until everyone is finished.
3. What is your best running moment? 
My best running moment was when we came in 3rd at NEWMAC’s last year. It felt so amazing to come together and accomplish that goal; especially on our home course!
4. What is your favorite thing to do in Northampton?
My favorite thing to do in Northampton is to get GoBerry! Closely followed by spending Sundays at Starbucks doing work with my best buddies! 
5. How does it feel to be a senior at Smith ! 
I don’t think being a senior has fully hit me yet; it still feels so surreal. But I can definitely say that looking back at it I would make the decision to come here for undergrad again in a heartbeat. 
6. What is your favorite thing/story about the team? 
My favorite things about the team are my teammates! They are a huge part of why I love Smith, why I love running, and they have definitely helped shape me into the person I am today. I couldn’t be more grateful to have all of them in my life.
And of course Sophia is a very close second. :) 
Abby 

No comments:

Post a Comment