Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Meet the Captains!

L to R: Micaela Young and Abby Mosca

This year's team captains are Abby Mosca and Micaela Young.  Both are juniors who have run on the team for three years. When not out running the trails of western Mass, Abby can be found stocking her backpack with endless supplies (scissors? Band-aids? snack? extra pen?  Abby has you covered!) and perfecting her sideways hand-writing; Micaela can be found practicing for So You Think You Can Dance if she's not in the weight room, perfecting her one-armed, one-legged 8-minute plank hold.  These two make a pretty captivating pair of captains--thanks for your leadership so far this season!  Now, a bit about them....

Where are you from and why did you choose Smith?

Abby: I'm from Manchester, NH. What really helped me to choose Smith was my overnight visit; I felt so welcomed and absolutely loved the atmosphere on campus. After that I was hooked. The top notch academics, and great XC program didn't hurt either.  

Micaela: I am from Saugerties, NY, near Woodstock.  I chose Smith not only because I would have an opportunity to run in college, but also because this is such an inspiring place that makes you feel like no dream is unreachable.  You can be who you are here at Smith, and achieve more than you thought possible.  No other college I visited made me feel like I do when I am here.

What is your major? 

Abby: I'm a math major! woohoo! 

Micaela: My major is Biology and I am minoring in Chemistry while fulfilling the prehealth requirements.

What has been your favorite class at Smith?

Abby: That's kind of a toss-up. I love calculus, so I really enjoyed my calc 3 course. But I also really liked my linear algebra course, because I had a phenomenal professor. And then there's Intro Astronomy, which I'd have to say is a close second place.  

Micaela: I honestly have liked the majority of classes I have taken at Smith! So, picking a favorite is hard.  I guess I had the most fun when I took Acting I.  Getting to play different characters was really interesting!

What is your favorite part of being on the team?

Abby: I love being on the team because it's given me the opportunity to form some amazing and lasting relationships with people who have the same priorities and drive as me. I love that we can challenge ourselves together to not only make each other stronger, but also to help each other grow as athletes and as individuals. I find it incredibly motivating to be surrounded by my teammates while we all put our all into something, and incredibly rewarding to then see what we can accomplish together with all of that work.   

Micaela: The women on this team make it what it is.  They are my best friends, and I cannot imagine my life without them.  I always know who I am when I am running and when I am at practice.  This team is my family away from home, and I love just being able to work together to accomplish great things!

Where is your favorite place to run?

Abby:
My favorite place to run is on trails (any trails).  My favorite long run that we do as a team is the run near the Quabbin Reservoir.

Micaela: I love to run anywhere that the team goes! Smith has so many great trails and fun places to explore.  I am a sucker for scenery, so anywhere that we run to that has a lake or stream and trails is golden in my book.  The Holyoke Reservoir looked amazing in its fall coat this past weekend!


https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
What is your favorite post -meet or post-workout treat? 

Abby: I love a good sundae!

Micaela: I don't have a specific post-run treat that I have to have, but I must say that the apple pie after the Smith Invite was pretty amazing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment